Dr. Andy Moffat is a highly experienced environmental applied scientist. Since graduating with a B.Sc. in Geography and Soil Science from the University of Reading and a Ph.D. in Geography from University College London, Andy has spent his career in research and policy support in the agriculture, forestry and arboricultural sectors, and strayed heavily into land reclamation, urban regeneration, waste recycling and ecosystem services. He has worked with a wide range of experts across the environmental field and published authoritative guidance for a number of government departments.
Andy is strongly motivated to ensure that scientific knowledge and understanding are deployed to support, not hinder society needs. He has worked closely with policy makers, operational managers and professional communicators. He is increasingly involved in supporting sound site-based decision making concerning trees.
A professional writer and presenter, Andy has been invited to a number of international conferences as a plenary speaker. He is the author of over 80 peer reviewed papers, 40 Government publications, 45 books, book chapters and published conference proceedings, nearly 80 web-based, out-reach, trade and other publications and 40 contract reports.
- Visiting Professor, School of Archaeology, Geography and Environmental Science, University of Reading;
- Honorary Research Fellow, Forest Research (research agency of the Forestry Commission);
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society;
- Fellow of the British Society of Soil Science;
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Foresters;
- Member of the EU Expert Group on Forest Fires;
- Member of ICP Forests;
- Member of the William Cobbett Society;
- Member of the England & Wales Wildfire Forum;
- Member of Trees and Design Action Group;
- Associate Editor, Soil Use and Management;
- Convenor, Green Infrastructure Group and Trustee, the Petersfield Society;
- Co-ordinator, East Hants Tree Warden Network;
- Past Chairman of the British Land Reclamation Society;
- Past Member of the CL:AIRE Technology and Research Group.
LinkedIn profile HERE
ResearchGate profile HERE